Friday, September 17, 2010

TV Tonight

Since Eureka's on hiatus, it looks like I'll be watching movies tonight. Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is having a stellar night. The Moon is Blue, 1953, is a rather talky film, but features one of the first, if not the first, uncensored mentions of the word "virgin" in a non-religious usage since the onset of the Motion Picture Production Code. It stars William Holden and David Niven and was directed by Otto Preminger. I first saw this film when I was a teenager and found it fascinating. I've seen it a few times since, but it's been years. The themes may be a bit dated to modern viewers, but really, men and women haven't changed all that much.

The Moon is Blue will be followed by The Man With the Golden Arm, 1955, also directed by Preminger and starring Frank Sinatra in his Academy Award nominated role as a junkie drummer in thrall to various unsavory characters after a stint in jail. It also stars Kim Novak, Eleanor Parker, and the original Night Stalker himself, Darren McGavin. The Man With the Golden Arm is in black and white, which gives it a definite noirish aspect. It's a brutal, difficult film to watch in some ways, but it's worth the effort. If you think Sinatra is only a singer, this film will change your mind. The man could act. I can't remember when I last watched this film, but I well remember its impact.

Baby Doll, starring Karl Malden, Carroll Baker, and Eli Wallach, is next in the line-up. It's sure to be a trippy flick as Baby Doll is based, more or less, on Tennessee Williams' play, 27 Wagons Full of Cotton, which is pretty much on the bizarre end of Williams' repetoire. I've never seen this film, but have wanted to since the mid-80s when I first became aware of the play. I used a monologue from the one-act for auditions when I was still working as a regional theatre actor, and once I was at the U of Mississippi earning a degree in Southern Studies, my understanding of the story was greatly enhanced. I'm not thrilled with the idea of non-Southern actors playing the Southern roles, but the actors are ones I respect. And really, Malden was brilliant in A Streetcar Named Desire, wasn't he?

I figure I'll be done in by the end of the evening. Honestly, I haven't looked forward to a night of movies so much in a long time.

3 comments:

  1. VGoob, good to see you. What a great way to spend the evening. Wish I was there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never imagined that the word "virgin" was once banned from the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, one day I'll get up to the northern hinterlands and we'll have a film fest. Beaucoups of popcorn and other goodies, and those gooby cousins of your'n, will make it a great event. I cannot wait!

    Roy, I <3 you. Never stop teaching me, hon. I am your avid pupil.

    ReplyDelete

Type, baby! Type!