Saturday, September 18, 2010

I'm Not Much for Football

What's funny, though, is I can see it happening now. I follow the teams of the ACC, CUSA, and SEC with casual interest. I find my loyalties follow old ones related to basketball since that's really my sport of choice for which to be a spectator. And there's tennis, of course, a sport I've been semi-avid about since I learned how to play it at camp one summer a million years ago. (Okay, okay. I got hooked in the era of Bjorn Borg. I have no idea why now beyond admiring his tennis, but I really crushed on him when I was pubescent.) I'm an Olympics junkie too. No question of that. I love having them alternate the Summer and Winter games so I only have to wait a year in between games. What I really find amusing about myself is how I'm now into minor league baseball to a small degree because I've lived in two cities with ballparks just a few minutes' walk away. After a while the news about the Bulls and the Redbirds started to creep into my awareness and I started paying attention.

Granted, the fall of Tiger Woods pretty much killed my interest in golf. It may return since I seem to live in areas with interesting tournaments. I began watching the PGA after running across Woods' last National Amateur Championship match one day. That young man from Stanford really impressed me with his focus and mad golfing skills. The female in me, however, is thoroughly disgusted with the man he is now and it has tainted any enjoyment I used to have for the game. It's not so much that he disrespected and betrayed his wife and kids, but that he demonstrated a blatant disregard for their well-being by sleeping with dozens of women sans condoms. Perhaps he's never known someone personally who is HIV positive who takes huge numbers of pills a day in an effort to stay alive or someone who's died of AIDS. I have and do. Because of that, I find his irresponsible choices abhorrent and downright ignorant. He graduated from Stanford for heaven's sake! This is not a stupid man. You know he had to spend time in San Francisco occasionally and he's certainly been around people in show business. It's just so idiotic. And now? I don't give a frak about golf any more.

Oof. I'm supposed to be typing about football. Sorry. I'm about as disgusted with Tiger Woods as I will always be with John Edwards, but that's another post entirely.

When I was in high school, I was in marching band. The only reason I did marching band, or so I told myself, was because I was the fat girl who found the idea of taking a gym class nightmarish. Marching band fulfilled my PE requirement and thus it was a no-brainer. In the end, however, I came to love the 6 A.M. practices on the wet football field and playing during half-time for our pitiful home games. For me, football is inexorably tied to marching band, and to my dad, of course. He was in marching band from high school through college. Granted, he was a trombonist and I a flutist, but we both marched in Southern summers' sweltering heat and also wretched rainy Christmas parades in wet uniforms and soggy shoes. At least neither of us had to march in snow. I've seen folks do that and I just bless them and shake my haidbone in gratitude that I've pretty much always lived below that ol' Mason-Dixon Line.

I digressed again, didn't I? Ah well. You see, when I lived in Oxford, Mississippi, I lived near a high school and one of my greatest pleasures was sitting on my front porch in the mornings, listening to the marching band practice. When I drove by the school during the fall, I would see the band practicing on the flat front lawn of the school because the football field was being used for, um, football practice. Imagine that! On Friday nights, I'd go out on my porch and listen to the football game being called on the loudspeakers in the stadium. I always meant to go to a game when I lived there, but I never did. I suppose since I didn't have any direct ties to the school, like a kid or a teacher friend or somesuch, that I felt like I would have been an interloper. That was silly, of course, since I paid taxes and whatnot to help support that football program and that school, but I have weird pockets of shyness that appear in silly ways.

As to my current interest in college football? Well, it's because I went to college in Mississippi at an SEC school and because of Seth Greenberg, men's basketball coach at Virginia Tech. I spend every football season now rooting against my alma mater for rather complicated reasons. (I used to root for the basketball team, but I despise Andy Kennedy, but like Edwards, that's another post.) In the SEC my loyalties are to Mississippi State because of their truly awesome Ag school that teaches people to make cheese and grows the bamboo for the panda bears at the Memphis Zoo. And yeah, they usually have a good football team too. As for the influence of Greenberg? Well, I love that man. I have for years now. I just think he's the most lovely man and great coach. Anyhoo, Seth (I call him Seth in my mind, but on Twitter I call him Coach if I type at him) is such an enthusiastic fan of all Hokies sports. He was completely bummed by the first two losses the Hokies had this season, but he kept on Tweeting about how they'll rally because that's what Hokies do and, well, I find his passion for all things Hokies a real delight. So today when the Hokies beat ECU? I was thrilled!

And yes, I really enjoyed the whomping of Duke by 'Bama too. Duke has for their football coach the dude what left Ole Miss in the lurch when I was still living in Oxford. Child, those Rebel fans were ticked off and that guy must still have all kinds of bad juju pointed in his direction at any given time. Duke's massive loss to 'Bama, an SEC team, made a lot of Rebels' fans very happy today. I guarantee it.

There are good football games on tonight, by the way. If I weren't watching TCM's homage to Maurice Chevalier and pleasing my inner Francophile, I'd probably have football on the TV. Really.

Lordy, I'm odd.

6 comments:

  1. Sigh... Ms. Virginia. I see you too have fallen victim to the Hokie bug. Living less than an hour from Blacksburg you would think VA Tech is THE only college in Virginia, and I usually don't wish them ill will, but being a James Madison Alumni I truly delighted in both of their losses this season. I was glad they lost to Boise State because it was better for us to play them while they were a little down. Of course I had to root for my Dukes on Sept. 11... and we all know how that turned out. I think it's good for them be a little more humble and work a little harder to win and not assume they'll walk all over everyone they play. Sometimes it's nice to see the mighty fall. ;) ~Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true, Ginny Lee, that I do love the Hokies. I had every expectation of hating them when they joined the ACC. I figured I'd put them in the same category as Dook or Clemson and disregard them entirely. But that Greenberg? Oh, that Greenberg! He's such a great coach that he made me love the Hokies. And yes, I do find it boggling.

    I understand your position, mind, and you are a fellow bandie after all. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Another BIG reason I was glad the Hokies won today was because they beat ECU. ECU is in the C-USA with the U of Memphis and they have a nasty habit of whomping the Tigers in football and my familial loyalty to the Tigers makes me chortle in glee whenever anyone beats ECU in any sport.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never cared much for golf and even less now that TW, talented though he is/was has shown his clear disregard for anything not him.
    I like Can. football despite the team I root for being pathetic at present, have been known to care about soccer, and can have a conversation about hockey.
    I haven't cared about baseball since the strike of 1995 and can barely stand to read about it since the steroid mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not care any less than I do for football, basketball, baseball, or golf - well, pretty much any televised sport (So You Think You Can Dance is entertainment and art, not sports), though I do love the Olympics (speaks the woman who would stay up until 3am to watch the sailing...go figure*ha*), being as I was a sports widow for 6 years and in fact, that is one reason why that relationship did not go to marriage). But I love reading your writing, Missy Lee, and I love you. Thank you for writing.<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah, my interest in baseball really is due to my proximity to minor league teams. It generally bores me to tears and I agree that the sport's been tainted by the doping aspect. But the excitement conveyed by whoever it is who Tweets the Redbirds' games is contagious. I need to see if the Bulls are on Twitter too, I have just realized. D'oh!

    FiGoob, yeah, I think my sports nuttiness developed because of growing up in the premier college conference for men's basketball. It was inescapable. And being in Pep Band and playing for the home games, and even a few Dook ones, cemented my ardor. I've always liked track and field too, due to the Olympics and my having had the opportunity to attend the Pan-American Games when they were in my hometown when I was a kid. That was very cool. As to my other sports interests? It's partially due to my favorite instructor at Ole Miss, the late Peter Aschoff. The only course of his I didn't take was Popular Culture, and even though he didn't teach the sports section, I came to realize that sports are a huge part of American, and Southern, culture and that I needed to be more aware. So, I am now.

    Oof.

    ReplyDelete

Type, baby! Type!