Monday, September 20, 2010

Monday Mad Men Mania

Mad Men was pretty good last night. I could have done w/out Faye and Don's relationship developing further, but I think it's due to the fact that Faye is such a useless character. I don't care. I'm not interested. But honestly, their interactions were the only things lacking in the episode.

Now then....

THEY KILLED IDA! Damnation and hellfire, Weiner! I wanted to slap you silly for that, man. Randee Heller was brilliant in the role, and while I admit it took me a couple of episodes to love Ida, to have her taken away so soon? Gah. As Cooper said, Ida, you were an astronaut. I miss you already.

The part where they "get a man" (Pete) to move Ida's body, with the whole scene playing out behind the clients from the racist tool company with the added cachet of Harry crying out, "My mother made that blanket!" made for genius, hysterical TV. And then, to have Megan clearing off the desktop while wearing white gloves? Whoever thought of that bit of business needs to be given a really big present today. As that English fellow I worked with in Wisconsin who had spent time in Alabama used to say, "I laughed so hard I peed a bucket."

More seriously, Kiernan Shipka's Sally Draper was heartbreaking. Not only is the child getting more gorgeous with every appearance, she is gifted way beyond her years. I swear, if her parents let her become another Lohan, it will be completely tragic. And they'll have many enemies. That child sold Sally's desperation and angst so utterly last night that people all over the interwebz were immediately typing about how they wanted to save Sally from her terrible, ineffectual, damn near apathetic parents. I was so grateful that all those women came into Don's office and watched him turn Sally over to her mother. Betty's careful control was, I'm certain, short-lived as soon as she was out of range of those judging eyes and ears, but for that moment Sally was safe and Betty was smart enough to realize that people were holding her responsible for Sally's distress even if Betty didn't accept responsibility for it herself.

"Read the label!" Rum on french toast. Gag. But then I never liked rum. That was a nice scene, though, between Sally and her dad. Once Don stopped being angry, and he was angry because the thought of his baby girl being on that train alone and unwatched freaked him out beyond belief and not because she was inconvenient, his affection and love for his daughter were evident. I tell you, that Jon Hamm is more than just a pretty face. Man has range, he does. He's an utter goob too and that is always a good thing.

Peggy and her lesbian friend are great together. I like that friendship. It feels real to me. Ape, on the other hand? Oh wait, that's a typo. I like it, however, and I shall leave it. For a dude what's supposed to be an enlightened artist, he's clearly a bloody eejit when it comes to properly valuing women's roles in our culture.

Oddly, Stan the art guy wasn't so peeving in this episode but actually amusing. The same cannot be said for Cosgrove, however. Damn, that character is a real jackass so far this season. Feh.

As for Joanie and Roger? Oy. Not feeling the plot device of having them mugged so they could vent their emotions with sex under the stairs. It was a cop out and disappointing. Sure, I expect such of Roger, but not Joan. Granted, this season Joan is someone I find irksome more often than not. I look forward to her rapist husband getting killed sooner rather than later. Heaven forfend he be permanently damaged in some way so that she's stuck with him forever. Joan's nothing if not loyal and she'd be eejit enough to stay with the rapist if he returns all maimed. What I'm really hoping is that he turns yellow and runs off to Canada. Joanie would hopefully then lose all regard for him and find a way to divorce him.

No Jared Harris this time around. Perhaps next week we'll have him back. Until then, keep watching those ads, kids!

2 comments:

  1. Hey you, read this. http://mspetersonexplains.wordpress.com/

    The pie. Is in. The Hole. (wink, wink)

    ReplyDelete

Type, baby! Type!